Thursday, May 29, 2014

Batten Down The Hatches!


Summer is right around the corner!

That means it's time to batten down the hatches around here!

I wish I could say I was one of those mothers who just loves summer because that means my boys would be home with me all day every day...but then I would be a liar.

Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE my boys, and I love spending time with them. I don't however, enjoy spending time with the little monsters they seem to become around the fourth day of their summer vacation. Yes, little monsters who's weapon is the annoying repetition of "I'm board." No matter what you do, what you plan, or what you buy those little "I'm board" monsters always seem to rear their ugly heads.

These kinds of monsters also seem to have a problem with showers! Every time you think you have a moment to take a shower, you better think again! If by some miracle you manage to get in the shower, be prepared for some door banging, mom calling, fingers under the crack of the door distraction!

Don't get me wrong, sometimes dealing with the school situation for my boys can be like dealing with monsters as well, but a different kind, and at the end of an hour or two I get to leave those monsters behind. These monsters though are always around. I mean they live here, and at first glance you see these sweet, cute, adorable little boys, but let me tell you the monsters come out when you least expect it.

So since I'm relatively sure I'm not the only one out there who has these little monsters just waiting to come out here are my favorite ideas for keeping my boys occupied during summer vacation

- Anything with water! Sprinklers are the best and the easiest. If you don't have one there is an easy and cheap way to make one at home! Simply take an empty soda bottle, cut some holes in the bottom, string it up and fill it up!

- Arts and crafts box. I go to our local craft store and stock up on a bunch of supplies that are on sale. I try to get a bunch of different things for them to choose from. When they start saying they are board I pull out the box and let them choose what they want to craft, lay some news paper down and let them go at it!

-Forts! It's time to get over the neat freakiness. Although if you have children, especially if you have more than one, I'm sure you were forced to get over that a long time ago. But grab all the blankets you can find and make tent city in your living room! Give the kids plenty of books to read, or even pop in a movie. If your really daring you can every let them have a picnic in their tents! If your super lucky and set them up around nap time you may even get your kiddos to fall asleep without any tantrums since its a new, fun place to sleep.

Story Hour! Most libraries in most towns have some kind of kids story hour one day a week. It is usually free and it gives your kids a chance to sit and listen to a story and even pick out of few of their own to bring home (and maybe read in their fort) It's also time for mommy to sit down in a cool and quiet place to attempt to gather her sanity.

Good luck with your summer vacations! Good luck and God speed....I know I'm sure gonna need it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment