Saturday, September 27, 2014

WARNING...I'm going there and then some (Gender rolls and children)



So all over facebook and other sites for a while now have been stories about how the Jolie/Pit family call their little girl John and allow her to dress like a little boy...

My thought every time I see this story is always...WHO CARES? I DONT GET IT...WHATS THE BIG DEAL?

Maybe it isn't a big deal to me because I live with it every day in my home. Because I have a six year old boy who prays to God every single night to turn him into a girl. A little boy who loves to run around wearing my shirt as a dress with a fabulous belt in the middle, who does better maneuvering around in a pair of my heels than I do. Who loves to wear my jewelry and my lip gloss and looks oh so cute doing it. A little boy who is trying to grow his hair out again (it was long when he was younger however we had to cut it because he was pulling it out.)

To me all of this means nothing. It's just my six year old being who he is and not being afraid to express himself. To me if it does "mean something" one day I could care less because that is my son and I love him for who he is and I always will.

Perhaps because I am elbow deep in it every single day that is why when I read these stories I just don't get why it is a big deal. But what really burns my backside about it all is, why is it anyone else's business other than hers and her parents? If she wants to be called John and asks her parents and siblings to call her John, why is that on a magazine cover, I mean legit with everything going on in todays world is that really what gets peoples attention? "little girl wants to be called John" that is what sells magazines? REALLY??

So here is my thought on this entire situation...first of all...you go for it Brad and Angie..as long as your not pushing her or forcing her into it then let her be her. If she wants the short hair, the boyish clothes and is asking to be called John and your comfortable as her parents doing that, than go for it! I give you credit for allowing your child to express herself in a way that makes her more comfortable even if it makes society uncomfortable.
I fully believe that allowing your children to express themselves in a safe way is awesome. My kids my dress themselves as long as its appropriate and they follow school dress code and all their bits are covered, their hair cut and style is their choice as long as it is taken care of and clean, etc. it is a way as children they are able to really show who they are. In a world where children are always being told they are different, or wrong, or need to follow the crowd, or being influenced by other people, let them be who they are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment